To Get Personalised contents and be able to add items to your favourites, please Sign In or Sign Up          
 

Kano Police: FG Yet to Compensate Families of Slain Policemen


News » Editorials
Kano

IMAGE: IGP, Mohammed Abubakar »

 

Ibrahim Shuaibu in Kano and Michael Olugbode

 

The Kano State Police Command  Thursday disclosed that 16 months after the attack on the state by terrorists, which claimed the lives of about 192 people, including 40 police officers,  the families of the slain officers are yet to be compensated by the federal government.

The disclosure, however, came on the heels of the reports that many residents of Hausari ward in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, who left the area as a result of the stench oozing from decomposing corpses deposited at the state Specialist Hospital, may relocate back to the area, as the state government had started evacuating the corpses.

But the Kano State Police Command, while receiving the Presidential Committee on Dialogue and Peaceful Resolution of Security Challenges in the North, at the Bompai headquarters, noted that: “Families of the slain officers have not received any form of support from the government since the unfortunate incident of January 20, 2012 which would have assisted in cushioning the effects of their anguish arising from the death in the hands of Boko Haram terrorists of the loved ones.”

The command also told the committee that the families of the deceased police officers have continued to appeal to the command to take up their case.
The committee was told that the command lost 40 officers in that single attack of January 20, 2012; while a total of 192 persons were killed, including security personnel from the State Security Service (SSS), the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) and Nigerian Customs Service (NCS).

While taking the visitors round the police headquarters, where they inspected the various explosives seized from suspected militants of the Boko Haram sect, the command disclosed that about 6,000 Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) were intercepted by the command’s Bomb Disposal Unit, most of which were detonated.
On his part, the chairman of the Committee, Alhaji Kabiru Tanimu Turaki, promised the bereaved families of the slain police officers that efforts would be made towards ensuring that they were compensated via their recommendation.

He said: “You are not going to be abandoned, you are not going to be rejected, we will take your case to the Federal Government; and through our recommendations, Mr. President will surely attend to your needs and support you.”

He added that the government was not insensitive to their plights and therefore would ensure that their families, particularly, the children won’t suffer, “they will be well taken care of in terms of their education and other welfare.”

The chairman also used the occasion to evaluate the gains so far recorded by the Committee, saying the federal government decision to release the vulnerable suspects of the Boko Haram sect in various detention centres across the country was part of the committee’s recommendation and measures towards ensuring speedy resolution of the conflict.

He added that their mission to the state was to have interactive session with stakeholders, stressing that: “We have received more information, more advice that will enable us go about the assignment with more sense of understanding.”

He also cleared the air on the notion that the emergency rule in Yobe, Borno and Adamawa States would jeopardise the activities of the committee, pointing out that: “There is no contradiction between the emergency rule and the committee. Nigeria is not at war. Even in countries where there is war, dialogue is also applied.

“No responsible government will sit down and allow a group of individuals to threaten lives and properties. The issue is that those who want to take the option of dialogue will have it; and those who want to continue to fight will continue to fight.”

Meanwhile, it was gathered that about 500 corpses were dumped at the hospital’s morgue, which had a capacity of 50 corpses, a development, which made the residents to vacate the area.

However, a source at the hospital told journalists that since the morgue could not accommodate the corpses, which were dumped by men of the Joint Task Force (JTF), it was decided that they should be treated with chemical, which did little to stop their decomposition.

The source, who lamented that some members of staff of the hospital had to stop coming to work when the odour became unbearable, said it was soul lifting that the evacuation of the corpses commenced on Wednesday.

He said all the corpses that were brought in had already started decomposing and had caused a lot of problems around the area because one could breathe, while economic activities in the area was brought to a halt.

According to him, “aside the health hazard, the economic activities and good air that we breathe in the area, the fact that we are aware of the pile of dead bodies around us is also causing serious psychological problem.”

Speaking to journalists on why the corpses were not evacuated on time, the state Commissioner for Environment, Alhaji Mustapha Hassan Aminami, said the corpses would have been evacuated long before now, but for hitches encountered during the process. 

He, however, said what was important was that the corpses were being evacuated, while the area would soon be fumigated to allow for fresh air and make people to live and operate businesses without much problem.

Article Credit: Thisday Newspaper

Updated 6 Years ago
 

Find Us On Facebook

Tags:     Kano Police: FG Yet to Compensate Families of Slain Policemen

RELATED